Liberty Media Corporation entered into an agreement to acquire Dorna Sports, S.L. (“Dorna”), the exclusive commercial rights holder to the MotoGP™ World Championship, from Bridgepoint and Canada Pension Plan Investment Board (“CPP Investments”). The company announced the acquisition on April 1, 2024. As a part of the deal, MotoGP will be attributed to Liberty Media’s Formula One Group tracking stock.

Purpose of the acquisition by Liberty Media

The company has a strong financial profile thanks to its varied and contracted revenue streams, high EBITDA margins, and low capital intensity, which generates a sizable amount of free cash flow. Carmelo Ezpeleta, who has been CEO of Dorna since 1994, will keep leading the company, which has its headquarters in Madrid.

Liberty Media will buy out 86% of MotoGP, leaving the team’s management with about 14% of the company’s equity. Liberty Media reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to substitute additional cash for FWONK common shares.

By year’s end in 2024, the transaction is anticipated to be finalized, contingent to obtaining clearances and permissions from multiple jurisdictions’ competition and foreign investment law agencies.

What the Liberty Media official has to add

Greg Maffei, Liberty Media President and CEO, said, “We are thrilled to expand our portfolio of leading live sports and entertainment assets with the acquisition of MotoGP,” said. “MotoGP is a global league with a loyal, enthusiastic fan base, captivating racing and a highly cash flow generative financial profile. Carmelo and his management team have built a great sporting spectacle that we can expand to a wider global audience. The business has significant upside, and we intend to grow the sport for MotoGP fans, teams, commercial partners and our shareholders.”

What the official from Dorna Sports have to add

Carmelo Ezpeleta, CEO of Dorna, said, “This is the perfect next step in the evolution of MotoGP, and we are excited about what this milestone will bring to Dorna, the MotoGP paddock, and racing fans. We are proud of the global sport we’ve grown, and this transaction is a testament to the value of the sport today and its growth potential. Liberty has an incredible track record in developing sports assets and we could not wish for a better partner to expand MotoGP’s fanbase around the world.”’

To explore more such startups, visit Zefyron Startup Database

For more extensive analysis and Market Intelligence reports, feel free to approach us.

We try our best to fact-check and bring well-researched as well as non-plagiarized content to you. Please let us know

if there are any discrepancies in any of our published stories,

-how we can improve,

-what stories you would like us to cover

–what information you are looking for in the comments section below or through our contact form! We look forward to your feedback, and thank you for stopping by!Next Article

Previous articleUSA-based Cadent to acquire AdTheorent
Next articleAfrica-based BaoBab Network acquires Reflector Marketing
Jasleen Bhatia works as a content writer for VCBay News. She is pursuing her final semester in Bachelor of Business Administration from IIPS, DAVV. Driven by her keen interest in entrepreneurship and finance, she writes business-related articles.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here