The Pet parenting trend in which owners treat their pets as family members and start supplying them with complementary products gave rise to the pet products and supplies industry. It encompasses niche products like clothing, food bowls, collars, and carriers.
The global pet care market is projected to hit USD 350 billion by 2027, growing at a CAGR of 6.1% from 2022 to 2027. The online pet market has nearly quadrupled since 2013. Some of the key drivers of growth include, continuously rising pet ownership and a wide range of fashionable and multifunctional pet accessories. Ecommerce platforms provide convenience and comfort, product information and choice, and pricing comparisons that make the value clear.
According to the webinar ‘Pet Care Outlook: Which Trends Will Outlast the Pandemic?’, digitalisation is one of the trends that will continue to dominate the pet care market for the next five years.
Here we have carefully curated a list of global top 10 pet e-commerce startups. The startups in this list are ranked according to the total funding they have raised to date. All these startups have distinguished themselves by the product or service they provide in the industry. CrunchBase and Pitchbook are the primary sources of data used in this article.
- Founders: Albert Costa, Xiaolei Jin
- Founding Year: 2010
- Headquarters: Massanassa, Valencia, Spain
- Total Funding Received: USD 3,198,620 million
- Investors: Caixa Capital Risc, Ona Capital
- Last Funding Round Type and Deal Amount: NA
Miscota is an online retail store designed to offer pet products. The company’s online store sells dry food for dogs, cats, and accessories for pets through the easy web surfing platform and has products at affordable prices, enabling consumers to make shopping easier, quicker, and more efficient.
9. Protein for Pets
- Founders: Marco Giannini
- Founding Year: 2013
- Headquarters: Thousand Oaks, California, United States
- Total Funding Received: USD 3,584,488
- Investors: CircleUp
- Last Funding Round Type and Deal Amount: NA, USD 2,459,200
Protein for Pets (P4P) is revolutionizing the way people shop for natural pet foods and supplies – by offering only the guaranteed best products at the best prices in the best, most convenient, way possible. The company offers a variety of natural formulas of the dry, raw and wet foods for the pets, all of which have no corn, no soy, no wheat and no animal by-products.
8. Spot & Tango
- Founders: Russell Breuer
- Founding Year: 2015
- Headquarters: New York, New York, United States
- Total Funding Received: USD 5,200,000
- Investors: Guild Capital
- Last Funding Round Type and Deal Amount: Seed, USD 4,200,000
Spot and Tango is an innovative pet health & wellness brand. It provides personalized meal plans specific to the customers’ dog’s weight, activity level, and lifestyle, enabling customers to access healthy pet food delivered to the consumer directly in eco-friendly packaging. The company focuses to provide dogs with the highest quality, human grade meals excluding artificial additives, fillers, and inexpensive preservatives commonly found in commercial kibble.
7. Alphapet Ventures
- Founders: Lorenz Hartung, Marco Hierling
- Founding Year: 2016
- Headquarters: Munich, Bayern, Germany
- Total Funding Received: USD 14,634,745
- Investors: Point Nine, Blumberg Capital, Mountain Partners, German Startups Group, Heliad Equity Partners, Venture Stars, Reimann Investors, Logan Capital AG and others
- Last Funding Round Type and Deal Amount: NA, €13,000,000
Alphapet Ventures GmbH retails pet food online through its websites www.hundeland.de and www.petspremium.de. Alphapet Ventures GmbH was formerly known as ePetWorld GmbH and Pets Premium GbmH and changed its name to Alphapet Ventures GmbH in May 2016. The company’s platform offers a wide range of food products and accessories such as collars, balls, frisbees and toys, among others for dogs and cats, enabling pet owners to buy a wide range of products for their pets. The AlphaPet Ventures brand portfolio comprises eight premium brands, including Wolfsblut, Wildes Land, PRIMUM and Müller’s Naturhof.
- Founders: Camilo Sanchez, Manuela Sanchez Villamarin, Tulio Jimenez, Andrea Gonzalez
- Founding Year: Aug 30, 2017
- Headquarters: Bogotá, Distrito Especial, Colombia
- Total Funding Received: USD 17,000,000
- Investors: Y Combinator, Soma Capital, Streamlined Ventures, Pioneer Fund, Justin Mateen, Palm Drive Capital, Justin Kan and others
- Last Funding Round Type and Deal Amount: Series A, USD 12 million
Laika is a digital platform where pet owners find everything they need for their care. From products such as food, snacks, and medicines to services such as veterinarians at home, Laika is a one-stop shop for everything pet related and offers the best prices. Laika delivers orders on the same day.
- Founders: Alexandre Douzet, Benjamin Sun, Gabby Slome, Randy Jimenez
- Founding Year: Oct 5, 2016
- Headquarters: Reno, Nevada, United States
- Total Funding Received: USD 46,583,192
- Investors: Alumni Ventures, Canaan Partners, Lerer Hippeau, Correlation Ventures, RiverPark Ventures, Primary Venture Partners, Max Ventures and others
- Last Funding Round Type and Deal Amount: NA, USD 29,303,192
Ollie is a trailblazing pet wellness brand that is upending the dog food industry by providing a healthier, easier way for pet parents to feel better about what they feed their dogs. The startup’s products include dog meals made from fresh, wholesome, human-grade ingredients with vet-formulated recipes with meat sourced from family-run farms and are customized based on a dog’s unique need. It enables pet owners to find a precise amount of food for pets through the custom meal subscription plan and keep a check on their health.
4. Heads Up For Tails
- Founders: Rashi Narang
- Founding Year: 2008
- Headquarters: New Delhi, Delhi, India
- Total Funding Received: USD 50,301,196
- Investors: Sequoia Capital India, Verlinvest, Amitell Capital, W&C PetTech
- Last Funding Round Type and Deal Amount: Series A, ₹2,770,000,000
Heads Up For Tails is a one-stop shop for all pet products with paw prints across India. The company designs, manufactures and customises stylish, high quality and utility-driven pet products to improve pet life quality and make pet ownership delightful. Its online pet store offers dog food, clothes, collars, leashes, feeders, toys, grooming products, personalized products, and training aids, enabling pet owners to get all essential things for pets in a hassle-free manner. The company was awarded the ‘Brand of the Year’ two times (2017 and 2019).
3. The Farmer’s Dog
- Founders: 2014
- Founding Year: Brett Podolsky, Jonathan Regev
- Headquarters: New York, New York, United States
- Total Funding Received: USD 103,100,000
- Investors: SV Angel, Insight Partners, Shasta Ventures, Collaborative Fund, Forerunner Ventures, Align Ventures, Jason Fiedler
- Last Funding Round Type and Deal Amount: Series C, USD 54,000,000
The Farmer’s Dog is a subscription-based pet health food brand that delivers balanced, ready-to-serve personalized meal plans based on the dog’s individual profile, including age, breed, size, activity level. It is made with simple recipes and human-grade USDA ingredients, enabling pet lovers to purchase healthier pet food necessary for the growth of their pets at a reasonable price. The Farmer’s Dog has served millions of meals nationwide through its personalized plans, delivering fresh, healthy food to dogs and peace of mind to their humans.
2. Butternut Box
- Founders: David Nolan, Kevin Glynn
- Founding Year: 2016
- Headquarters: London, England, United Kingdom
- Total Funding Received: USD 113,342,104
- Investors: Passion Capital, White Star Capital, L Catterton, Kreos Capital, Five Seasons Ventures, Literacy Capital, L Catterton Europe
- Last Funding Round Type and Deal Amount: NA, £40,000,000
Butternut Box is a UK-based startup founded by two friends, Kev & Dave. The company offers homemade, healthy, fresh and tailored meals for the dogs and delivers them at people’s doors, enabling pet owners to get healthy food for their dogs.
1. Crazy Dog
- Founders: Jia Cui
- Founding Year: 2014
- Headquarters: Xuzhou, Jiangsu, China
- Total Funding Received: USD 143,414,605
- Investors: Tiantu Capital, Fosun International, Ares Management, Guangdian Capital
- Last Funding Round Type and Deal Amount: Series B, CN¥ 300,000,000
Crazy Dog is an online pet supplies brand. The startup offers dog food, treats, supplements, entertainment, and health care products, enabling dogs to enjoy a balanced diet and with improved hygiene and lifestyle. After three years of rapid development, the company’s “crazy puppy” dog food brand has a full coverage of Tmall, Taobao, Jingdong and other online sales platforms and offline pet hospitals, pet stores, etc.
For more extensive analysis and Market Intelligence reports feel free to approach us or visit our website: Venture Capital Market Intelligence Reports | VCBay.
We try our best to fact check and bring the best, well-researched and non-plagiarized content to you. Please let us know
-if there are any discrepancies in any of our published stories,
-how we can improve,
-what stories you would like us to cover and what information you are looking for, in the comments section below or through our contact form! We look forward to your feedback and thank you for stopping by!