The foundation of any startup is raised with the idea that can be executed into a well-planned enterprise. But something that holds equal importance as that of an idea is the investment into that idea! And for that, Venture Capitals are there to back the potential startups. The early-stage Venture Capital firm Nexus Venture Partners is a capital firm with more than US$1.5 billion assets under management that partners with exceptional and potential entrepreneurs across the US and India.
The foundation of Nexus Venture Partners
Today Nexus Venture Partners stands among one of the leading investment firms with its footprints in two growing markets. But all this has a long journey of investments and growing minds behind. The Venture Capital was founded in 2006 by Sandeep Singhal, Naren Gupta, and Suvir Sujan. The enterprise is currently headquartered in Menlo Park, California, in the United States with the legal name as Nexus India Capital Advisors Pvt Ltd. It has offices in three cities viz Bengaluru, Mumbai, and Silicon Valley. It was one of the very first India-US venture investments founded by thriving entrepreneurs from the consumer internet and enterprise technology domain. Nexus has been in the list of pioneering investment firms that initiated global technology products and technology-based business into the core of Indian startups. It generates wholesome revenue of US$ 6.8 million.
The founders of the enterprise
- Sandeep Singhal
He was the CEO and co-founder of one of the renowned healthcare outsourcing enterprises in India, Medusind Solutions. He also co-founded eVentures in 1999 in India with some notable exits that count Mentorix Solutions (Lionbridge acquisition), Customer Asset (First Source acquisition), and MakeMyTrip (was sold to SAIF partners). He has been an entrepreneur and an Indian Venture Capital pioneer. At Nexus Venture Partners, he plays an active role in healthcare, enterprise software, and impact investments. He is also a board member of several companies, including Eka, Livehealth, Lybrate Pando, Suminter, and more.
- Naren Gupta
Naren Gupta had immense experience in financials before he co-founded Nexus. He co-founded ISI-Integrated Systems Inc. in 1980, which was a leading software corporation and served as its President cum CEO for fifteen years. Later on, he took ISI public and merged it with Wind River Systems, and was one of its board members till it got acquired by Intel. He has been on the board of many privately and publicly held enterprises. Recently, he was serving as Chairman of the Board of Red Hat Inc. before it got acquired by IBM in a US$34 billion deal. He is also a member of Asia Society Northern California, Advisory Board and California Institute of Technology, Board of Trustees.
- Sujir Sujan
Sujir Sujan is named among one of the successful and pioneering entrepreneurs of the Indian consumer internet. He was the co-CEO and co-founder of Baazee.com, which was one of the leading virtual marketplaces in India that later got merged with eBay in 2004. After the merge, he served as the Country Manager at eBay India and Director at PayPal. He is on the list of a charter member of the Internet and Mobile Association of India and mentored multiple entrepreneurs in the consumer service domain in India and among the board members of the Global India Venture Capital Association.
Portfolio Companies of Nexus Venture Partners
Nexus Venture Partners with potential and extraordinary entrepreneurs that focus on building product first enterprises. Their team helps to build market leaders across the US and India. It provides funding to early stages ventures and seed startups. The company has its hands spread into domains of consumer internet and technology. The company has made investments in 230 companies with 12 diversity investments and 33 exits. The company has participated in a total of 397 funding rounds with an investment of US$8 billion funding amount. The top portfolio companies of Nexus Venture Partners include:
- Cricket Health
- Lifecare Health
- White Hat Jr
Exits by the company
- Targeting mantra
- Pay Sense
The recent funding rounds of Nexus Venture Partners include Fingerprint JS with US$4 million, Observe.AI with US$ 54million, Newton School with US$650k, Hausera with US$25 million, and Unacademy with US$150 million funding.
Diversity investments by the firm
A total of 12 diversity investments have been made by Nexus Venture Partners, with the most recent one made on 19th September 2019 with MinIO raising US$20 million investment. The other diversity announcements are:
- Women founded MinIO announced on 19th September 2017 raising US$ 20 million in Series A
- Women founded and led Parsley Health announced on 1st June 2017 in Seed round
- Women founded LogicHub announced on 1st February 2017 raising US$ 8.4 million in Series A
- Women founded MinIO announced on 17th June 2015 raising US$ 3.3 million in Seed round
- Women-led ElasticBox announced on 2nd April 2014 raising US$ 9 million in Series A
- Women founded Kaltura announced on 11th February 2014 raising US$ 47 million in Series E
- Women-led ElasticBox announced on 26th June 2013 raising US$ 3.4 million in Seed Round
- Women founded Chocolate announced on 13th December 2012 raising US$ 3.4 million in Series B
- Women founded Kaltura announced on 21st November 2012 raising US$ 25 million in Series D
Team Members of Nexus Venture Partners
The team of Nexus Venture Partners has 12 members in total, including its Managing Director and co-founder Naren Gupta. The team at Nexus Venture Partners has the following people:
- Naren Gupta: Managing Director and Co-Founder
- Anup Gupta: Managing Director
- K G Subramanian: Chief Financial Officer and Managing Director
- Sandeep Singhal: Managing Director
- Jishnu Bhattacharjee: Managing Director
- Sameer Brij Verma: Managing Director
- Suvir Jain: Managing Director and Co-founder
- Abhishek Sharma: Principal
- Anand Dutta: Vice President
- Arjun Gandhi: Tech Investments
- Arun Madhu: Legal
- Pratik Poddar: Principal
Funding raised by Nexus Venture Partners
The enterprise has raised five funds to date. The latest fund name was Nexus Ventures V Ltd. that raised a total of US$ 353.5 million.
- Nexus Ventures V Ltd. announced on 26th May 2016 that it raised US$ 353.5 million
- Nexus Ventures IV Ltd. announced on 8th December 2015 that it raised US$ 450 million
- Nexus Ventures Partners Fund III announced on 6th September 2012 that it raised US$ 270 million
- Nexus Ventures Partners Fund II announced on 20th August 2008 that it raised US$ 220 million
- Nexus Ventures Partners Fund I announced on 15th January 2007 that it raised US$ 100 million
The Venture Capital Firm, founded by entrepreneurs for the entrepreneurs, believes in investing with early stage startups, usually in the Seed and Series A rounds. They back their partners for long term commitment throughout their journey. Their team across the US and India works together as one to help their portfolio companies to adapt best practices and thereby scale in new markets.
We try our best to fact check and bring the best, well-researched and non-plagiarized content to you. Please let us know
-if there are any discrepancies in any of our published stories,
-how we can improve,
-what stories you would like us to cover and what information you are looking for, in the comments section below or through our contact form! We look forward to your feedback and thank you for stopping by!